Holiday pic

Holiday pic

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Leftover Chicken Crock Pot Chili

So, I have a friend who writes a blog, The Joys of Home Educating, all about Home Schooling adventures.  And for the fall, she is having a 'recipe link' thingy... So, here is my attempt at linking her page to mine and adding the following recipe... ha ha ha

I love the cool crisp days/nights of fall.  I also love making my Crock Pot Chili using leftover chicken.  It's super easy and tastes yummy...and you don't have to do much...  So, here it is:

Leftover Chicken Chili
The only directions I have:  dump everything in a crock pot and cook on love all day (you cannot overcook this meal)

Ingredients:

  • Leftover Chicken (I have also done this with turkey)  -  I always make this dish when I make an oven stuffer and tend to have leftover chicken   
  • 2 cans of any kind of beans (I always have cans of beans in my storage and use what I have.)  Since it is a chicken chili, I try to use the lighter colored beans- Cannellini Beans, White Kidney, Light Pink Kidney        I also love black beans so I will throw them in there too..
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (buy the flavored tomatoes...some of them have jalepenos in them...I like those for chili)
  • 1 jar and/or can of tomato sauce
  • 1 can of corn   (or, I might have some fresh corn on the cob that was frozen...oxymoron I know, Fresh Frozen...lol...cut it off the ear and throw it in)
  • 1 small can of mushroom pieces
  • Minced Garlic  (yes, I do have the kind in the fridge already minced and in the jar)
  • Jalepenos (again, I use the jars of them already cut up and ready to be thrown in)
  • Mixture of the following seasonings: Onion Powder and/or minced onion, Southwestern style seasoning, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Salt/Pepper
  • Hot Sauce- I use Tobasco Sauce, Wing Sauce and some Sweet Red Chili Sauce (this is in the Asian Food Aisle)
And that's it.  You can also make it more complicated by using all 'fresh' ingredients.  If you want, sautee some onions, peppers and mushrooms the night before and add them to the mix.  Basically, this is a Pot of Chili you can make your own.  I like it a bit spicy so I may add more of the spicy crap.

I serve with Shredded Cheddar or just plain old American cheese (usually depends on what's in the fridge), Italian Bread with butter (or, just plain old bread if you don't have the Italian), Sour Cream (if we got it in the fridge), and/or tortilla chips:)

The leftovers freeze awesomely!!  I will actually put 1 or 2 servings in a freezer bag and that works great.  Hubby and I are usually the only ones who eat Chili so it's great to take out for just us:)

Hope you enjoy and here's hoping I actually link everything up the right way:)

Have a good one!!


Positive Hubby thought-  after 7 years of working from home on Friday, he finally listened and went upstairs to work... you know, away from the noise that this house creates with kids...  ha ha... I guess it only takes 7 years for him to actually listen to something I tell him and for him to agree that I'm right???  

My happy thing for today- Friendships

1 comment: